Published on May 22nd, 2016 | by Jos Roder


One Five – Mod Time

The Drift Life Project One Five Silvia has been in hibernation since what feels like forever, just taking up room in the garage really! There have been a few sporadic attempts at bringing the car up to spec since the last project update though and this is one such installment.

The car was already up in the air from some previous work, so it was easy to tackle a few items that needed addressing.

The exhaust system on the car was in decent condition, but the weak links were the restriction provided by the catalytic converter as well as a lack of a flexi-joint. Thanks to a birthday gift from a friend, I got a two in one solution, which was quickly bolted up. Win win!

Greddy Type S
The S15 came equipped with some quality Quantum coil-over and Swift Springs, however they were very firm (14kg front) and a couple ended up starting to leak. As such, when a friend stripped his meal deal S15, he offered me these near new Greddy Type S coil overs with the EDFC units and Cusco rear camber arms as a package at a price I couldn’t resist! The specs are 8kg front and 6kg rear.

Regarding a comparison of the two suspension setups, I was unable to directly compare the before and after swap but on Calder Park’s large bumps and steep surface changes, the car felt really planted with the Greddy unit’s, soaking up the knocks quickly. I was impressed.

Everyone loves Cusco quality.

The arms were promptly installed. I’ve made the mistake of not upgrading toe arms at the same time twice now however! Always install toe arms at the same time as camber arms because otherwise you are not able to take full advantage of the movement allowance with only one sphere of angle change. I was unable to totally flatten out my camber at the rear despite the camber arms, simply because the toe arms were the limiting factor.

Guard rollers are handy things if you need to flatten out camber or plan to fit wider wheels and or lower the car. The S15 has  widebody rear fenders, however the inner guards remain, so we spent some time rolling the guards as much as we could for added clearance.

It is always important to monitor engine temperatures. I had this rather cheap option suggested to me, so I bit the bullet and gave it a go. It is a Top Gauge (ebay) and digitally reads out water and oil temperature plus voltage in a tiny LED screen.

The kit comes with all the temperature senders and wiring plus a simple instruction guide. I have basically zero electrical experience and I completed the install, so I would suggest this install is nearly beginner level.

I had a left over water temp sensor port, so that was an easy solution to install the included sensor.

For the oil temperate sensor I purchased a SAAS oil block sandwich plate. This threw a spanner in the works as although it was the right model for the engine, the adapter bolt’s thread was too long, which took us an embarrassingly long time to work out why it was not fitting hard against the block once fully tightened. We ended up needing to cut down the end of the adapter bolt length so it could be bolted hard against the block.

Eventually with everything sorted, i started the car and everything worked. I love that feeling.

It was good to get a few more things ticked off the list on what I think I might start calling SR-71!

In the next installment I will discuss the most expensive purchase of the project so far.

Tags: , , , ,

About the Author

Jos Roder

is the owner of Drift Life and delves deeper into drifting culture. Jos started drifting more than 10 years ago after discovering a sport existed that captured his favourite motoring endeavour, going sideways! Jos works full-time in the automotive/motorsport field as a PR Manager and Advanced Driving Instructor and currently owns a JDM S15 Nissan Silvia for drift/track/hillclimb duties.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top ↑